Emulace Linuxu

Petr Snajdr snajdr at pvt.net
Mon Jan 5 17:25:41 CET 1998

Vladimir Mencl, MK, susSED wrote:

>   Zkousel jsi to nekdy nekde? Ja si z diskuse s Jakubem Jelinkem
> pamatuji, ze pry "to, co FreeBSD pouziva, a cemu rika UFS, je neco uplne
> jineho nez UFS". A kdyz jsem jeden cas mel oba systemy (FreeBSD
> 2.1.0, tedy bez mount_ext2fs), zkousel jsem mount_ufs v Linuxu, a
> neuspel jsem (tenkrat Redhat 4.1).
>
>                                 Vlada

V Helpu pri kompilaci jadra Linuxu se pravi:

BSD and derivate versions of Unix (such as SunOS, FreeBSD, NetBSD
and NeXTstep) use a filesystem called UFS. Some System V Unixes can
create and mount partitions and diskettes using this filesystem
as well. Enabling this option allows you to mount these partitions
and diskettes read-only. [...]

na http://www.mathi.uni-heidelberg.de/~flight/projects/u2fs/
se pravi:

ufs for Linux

The name of the game

ufs is a file system widely used in different UN*X like operating
systems. ufs stands for `user file system' and was developed by UCB.
Therefore it is most prominent
among operating systems somehow derived from the BSD distribution.
4.2BSD, 4.3BSD, 4.4BSD, SunOS, NetBSD, FreeBSD, NEXTSTEP and OSF are
some
examples, the GNU Hurd has also provides an implementation of ufs.
Related names are ffs (fast file system) and lfs (log file system).

The instances of ufs differ in things like endianess, position of
superblock etc.

[...]

The future

It seems to be a reasonable goal to merge the best of both
implementations and come out with a ufs that's able to read all
instances of ufs filesystems and that works on
architectures supported by Linux. I hope that it's possible to build
this based on Fare's patched ufs (see above). This version currently
lacks at least support for FreeBSD and NEXTSTEP file systems.

[...]

--

S pozdravem
   Petr Snajdr