performance issues with 6.0-STABLE

Dan Lukes dan at obluda.cz
Thu Nov 24 11:08:42 CET 2005

Juraj Lutter wrote:

> recently I've updated to 6.0-STABLE and started noticing strange

> Under normal operation, load average is between 0.30 and 0.60 but
> suddenly, from time to time (every 15 to 20 minutes), the load increases
> dramatically to 15 or more with no visible causes.

> irq18: bfe0 atapci1             57519357        710
> 710 interrupts/second is just too much...

	On the first, you should check if there are no real packet storm on the
wire (tcpdump should help you). There may be real network problem which
may or may not be related to system update. Even in the case the problem
is related to update, the relation may not be obvious. Unless you can
confirm the problem isn't based on true network condition, the searching
for problem within ACPI or IRQ routing may be waste of time.

	If you are looking for an quick solution, the pooling(4) may help you.

						Dan