setiathome port: Can't open file temp.sah

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Sun Nov 24 22:49:07 CET 2002

Tomas Pluskal wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've installed the astro/setiathome port, but when I run it (using
> "rc.d/setiathome.sh register" or just "setiathome -login"), it fails to
> work:
>
> Welcome to SETI at home.
> We use your email address to identify you.
> Please type:
>     1 to set up a new account (first-time users);
>     2 to log into an existing account (returning users).
> Your choice (1 or 2): 2
> Email address: plusik at pohoda.cz
> Can't open file temp.sah
> If you need help or have questions,
> please check the FAQ at http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu.
> Please type:
>     1 to set up a new account (first-time users);
>     2 to log into an existing account (returning users).
>
> It always says "Can't open file temp.sah" and asks again for account
> setup. It's not filesystem/rights problem, it does even when run as root.
>
> I don't have a public IP (10.0.0...) and I am connected to internet via
> NAT, but I believe it doesn't matter (internet communication works OK, and
> setiathome is AFAIK using only http).

That doesn't matter either. I use a 192... convention.

It has to be a permission problem. I generate about 25 wu's a day on
FreeBSD machines and have no problems. Make sure your directory
permissions are consistant with your user access rights.

I created a user called seti and I get into trouble when I do
something as root because seti can't modify files created by root.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA