migracia hesiel Linux<->FreeBSD

Cejka Rudolf cejkar at dcse.fee.vutbr.cz
Tue Sep 14 15:03:18 CEST 1999

Slavo Uhrin wrote (1999/09/14):
> je nejaka moznost, ako preniest pouzivatelske hesla z Linuxu
> na FreeBSD?

Treba to pomuze (z prosince 1998):

--
> I need to know if there is an easy way to convert the Linux password
> file, which I believe is encrypted in DES format to the MD5 format
> that FreeBSD uses...

1) No, it's not possible. If it were possible, it would also be
   possible to crack all the passwords on your system, and you
   wouldn't want that, would you?

2) FreeBSD supports DES passwords just fine, if you install the DES
   libraries (the installation utility will ask you whether or not you
   want to install them), but FreeBSD password files have a few more
   fields than Linux password files. See the passwd(5) man page.
--
> 2) FreeBSD supports DES passwords just fine, if you install the DES
>    libraries (the installation utility will ask you whether or not you
>    want to install them), but FreeBSD password files have a few more
>    fields than Linux password files. See the passwd(5) man page.

How do I tell if my system is using DES or MD5? Is there a way to switch
types of encryption once the system is installed? (I know I would have to
re-enter my passwords in order to do this)
--
> > 2) FreeBSD supports DES passwords just fine, if you install the DES
> >    libraries (the installation utility will ask you whether or not you
> >    want to install them), but FreeBSD password files have a few more
> >    fields than Linux password files. See the passwd(5) man page.
> How do I tell if my system is using DES or MD5? Is there a way to switch
> types of encryption once the system is installed? (I know I would have to
> re-enter my passwords in order to do this)

MD5 is always there; if you install the DES libraries you will have
DES support in addition to MD5 support. You can switch from MD5 to DES
effortlessly since you don't need to change your MD5 passwords.
Switching the other way is more difficult.

I'm not certain how to control which encryption is used by default;
ISTR that if DES support is available, it becomes the default, but I
don't know if or how that can be overridden.
--

Takze mozna staci prihrati DES knihoven, drobna uprava master.passwd
a spusteni pwd_mkdb. Ale nikdy jsem to nedelal.

--
Rudolf Cejka   (cejkar at dcse.fee.vutbr.cz;  http://www.fee.vutbr.cz/~cejkar)
Brno University of Technology, Faculty of El. Engineering and Comp. Science